As dog lovers we often strive to do as much as we can for our canine friends, but did you know that they earn their place as well? This is not just for working dogs. In fact, in retrospect Purebredbreeders.com now believes all dogs are working dogs to a large degree. This will become more evident as the true medical benefit of being a dog owner becomes clear, since dogs are healers, physicians, therapists, and caretakers to those with special needs. Here are just 10 of the ways Purebredbreeders.com found that dogs help us be healthier or live a better life.
- Interacting with your dog for as little as 15 minutes can reduce serotonin production as well as cortisol levels. This means your dog is a natural, four-legged mood enhancer.
- There are studies that also show a reduction in blood pressure in hypertensive children as they petted their dogs. Adults have also been shown to have better blood pressure and manage stress better while interacting with their pets.
- Pet owners are less likely to be depressed, and depressed persons who interact with animals tend to show some improvement in their symptoms.
- Dogs help reduce stress during the work day. Purebredbreeders.com recently discussed this here in one of our posts.
- Approximately a third of the dogs owned by diabetics have the ability to sense when a dangerous drop in blood sugar is about to happen, and can actually alert their owners before it is too late. The exact science behind this ability is unclear however, more and more dogs are being trained to do this.
- Dog owners are less likely to be obese since daily walks require that they be physically active.
- Dogs are thought to be able to sniff out other health issues such as cancer, but what is even more remarkable is how studies in animal cancer cases (dogs and cats) are helping to pioneer studies in humans. So far, canine cancer has led to a better understanding in how some human cancers develop, prostate cancer being one, and could even lead to an evolution in human treatments.
- Better mental health from an increased tendency to interact with people. Some dog owners talk to others a lot about their pooch, or spend time swapping stories at the dog park, on walks, or at work. This helps them to keep a healthier, more stimulated mind, and lessens isolation.
- Taking care of a pet helps children cope with ADHD. An earlier Purebredbreeders.com post even looks at how dogs can help children with development disorders such as autism, behavioral issues, and other psychological, emotional or mental problems cope.
- The Xolo, a hairless dog from Mexico, is currently being used to alleviate chronic pain. The breed is known to generate enough body heat to help suffers from these conditions simply by lying with them. Some persons even go as far as to go about their day with the dog around their necks!
These do not even begin to scratch the surface. Purebredbreeders.com readily found some 30 ways in which dogs either help medically, or otherwise improve the quality of our lives. Admittedly, other animals can help with some of these, but so far dogs are consistent in all. In fact, we did not even have to go searching for “dog only” sources. Simply put, dogs are amazing! It’s no wonder they have been considered human’s best friend for so long.